Ricotta toast makes a deliciously easy breakfast or lunch! Slather on ricotta, then top with sweet or savory toppings.
Here’s a genius simple idea that tastes far greater than the sum of its parts: Ricotta Toast! Spread ricotta cheese on toast, then load it up with sweet or savory toppings. Go basic with juicy ripe tomatoes and a drizzle of olive oil, or hearty with tender smoked salmon, capers and fresh dill. Or go sweet with fruit, a drizzle of honey and cinnamon. Anything goes here! It’s a simple meal that feels luxuriously fun.
What you need for ricotta toast
Ricotta toast is ricotta cheese that’s spread on toast, then topped with savory or sweet toppings. It got loads of exposure after going viral on TikTok, but it’s a basic idea that’s been around for years. Use either plain seasoned ricotta or whipped ricotta as the base, then top it with the creative toppings of your choice. Here are the required ingredients:
- Bread: It’s best with artisan-style crusty bread, but you can use any store-bought loaf
- Ricotta: This healthy cheese is packed with protein and makes the ideal smooth base. It’s great right out of the container, but you’ll want to season with salt and pepper since its flavor is rather bland. Or, you can make Whipped Ricotta: an airy, fluffier version that tastes transcendental.
- Toppings: The great thing about ricotta toast? It works sweet or savory. Add the veggies, protein or fruits of your choice. See below for more options!
Whipped ricotta vs plain
Ricotta toast is fantastic with ricotta cheese right out of the tub, seasoned with salt and pepper. But to make the most delicious of all ricotta toast, try the whipped version! Here’s why it’s worth the extra time:
- Whipped ricotta has a light and airy texture to contrast with the bread and toppings. It really does make this toast that much better.
- How to make it? Place 16 ounces whole milk ricotta, 3 tablespoons milk and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl and whisk with a whisk for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
Ricotta toast topping ideas
The fun part about ricotta toast is creativity: there are endless ideas of how to arrange the toppings! It’s a customizable idea that works for breakfast, lunch, snacks…or even a simple dinner (like on days where you just don’t want to think). Here are a few ideas for ricotta toast toppings, both savory and sweet:
- Smoked salmon: A favorite: packed with both flavor and protein! Add capers, red onion and fresh dill
- Tuna: Canned tuna is also great and filling
- Prosciutto: Add prosciutto is another savory protein-filled option
- Hard boiled eggs: Add additional protein with Stovetop Hard Boiled Eggs or Steamed Hard Boiled Eggs.
- Tomatoes: Juicy ripe heirloom tomatoes are divine
- Avocado: Avocado ricotta toast is another filling, hearty idea
- Other vegetables: Try cucumbers, radishes, pickled vegetables, shredded carrots, and so forth
- Fresh herbs: Herbs add great flavor (chives, thyme, dill, basil, etc)
- Apples and pears: Sliced apples with a drizzle of honey and dusting of cinnamon is another favorite
- Berries: Sliced strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries are also fantastic
- Chopped nuts: Top a fruity toast with chopped pistachios, hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts, almonds or other nuts
Is ricotta healthy?
Can ricotta cheese be considered a healthy cheese? Yes! Ricotta is a creamy, white cheese that’s loaded with protein. Here are a few nutrition facts about ricotta (via Healthline):
- Ricotta is high in protein. One ½ cup serving of ricotta has 12 grams protein!
- The whey in ricotta could promote muscle growth and help lower blood pressure.
More ricotta recipes
There are so many great ways to eat ricotta: of course, this ricotta toast is a favorite! Here are a few more fun ricotta recipes:
- Start the day with Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Bake up a pan of Lasagna with Ricotta
- Grab a slice of Ricotta Pizza
- Try Whipped Ricotta and honey as a dip for warm pita bread
This ricotta toast recipe is…
Ricotta toast makes a deliciously easy breakfast, lunch or snack! Slather on ricotta, then top with sweet or savory toppings.
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese or Whipped Ricotta (see Step 1)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Slices of bread
- For the salmon toast: Smoked salmon, capers, red onion, fresh dill
- For the tomato toast: Ripe tomatoes, garlic salt, chives or green onion, olive oil
- For the avocado toast: Ripe avocado, radishes, garlic salt
- For the apple honey toast: Apple slices, honey, chopped pistachios, cinnamon
- Other ideas: Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, pears, cucumber, canned tuna, canned salmon, prosciutto, hard boiled eggs, fresh herbs, pickled vegetables, etc.
- Stir together the ricotta with ¼ teaspoon kosher salt and several grinds of fresh ground pepper; taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Or, make the Whipped Ricotta: place 16 ounces whole milk ricotta, 3 tablespoons milk and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl and whisk with a whisk for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Toast the bread.
- Salmon toast: Spread the ricotta on the toast. Top with smoked salmon, drained capers, sliced red onion and fresh dill sprigs. Add 1 grind fresh black pepper.
- Tomato toast: Spread the ricotta on the toast. Top the toast with the sliced tomatoes, chopped chives or green onion, drizzle of olive oil, a small pinch salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Avocado toast: Spread ricotta on the toast. Top the toast with sliced radishes, drizzle of olive oil, and a small pinch salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Apple honey toast: Spread ricotta on the toast. Add apple slices, a drizzle of honey, chopped pistachios, and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Category: Breakfast or Lunch
- Method: No cook
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Ricotta toast